Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Book #2 "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

"But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person you brings you to attention so you can change your life A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful." -pg. 149

I know what you're thinking. This is supposed to be a unique travel blog and I pick one of the most well-known travel memoirs of all time? Give me chance okay?

I didn't intend to read all the travel memoirs I did, but when reading my last book, "What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding" (see previous post), Kristin Newman mentioned she'd been reading it during one of her travels, so I thought, why not? Then I just couldn't stop after this one. 

I don't think the book is for everyone, but at the point that I was at in my life (heartbroken and confused) It was perfect for me. In the first third of the book, the author travels to Italy, somewhere I've always wanted to go. Her descriptions of Italian vistas and majestic Italian food was definitely the peek into Italy that I was looking for. 

However, it was the second part of the book that brought tears to my eyes. When I came across the passage mentioned above, I had to put the book down and cry, because I'd said goodbye to a soul mate of mine just a few months before. 

So, what I have to say about the book is this, read it when it comes to you, because like angels, sometimes books come into your life for a special purpose, and I knew what that purpose was (for me) when I read those lines.

Also, I alternated between disliking Ms. Gilbert for totally just trashing her seemingly perfect life, and being so damn envious of her for trashing her seemingly perfect life and actually living a life with nothing but a suitcase. If only we could all be that brave. It made me realize you don't have to be content with the life you have just because it's the life you have, sometimes you have to make mistakes, trash it, change it, and start over. And sometimes the people you love have to make mistakes, trash you, change you, and start all over. Instead of breaking because of it, embrace those soul mates and let them go, and embrace that changes that you yourself are now allowed to make now that they are no longer in your life.  Changes like that allow you to be selfish, to think about you and only you, and decide what you really want to do--and that is really not a bad thing at all!


Thanks for reading!!! Until next time!

Up next: "The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost" by Rachel Friedman

ETA: Tomorrow (or the next day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment